
Dear Deployment,
When we first met, I didn't really know what to think of you. You didn't say much. You just showed up, collected your belongings, and then took off like a bat outta hell. Sure, I felt like you overstayed your welcome, but at least when you left you were really gone.
I've gotten to know you VERY well over the past five years. A little too well, actually. It's like you keep showing up even though you know you're not welcome. Why? Because you're friends with my husband? Well, I hate to tell you this, but you like him a lot more than he likes you. Deployment, you've been somewhat of a thorn in my side. You're almost like the "other woman", but instead of me getting pissed and kicking him out, I'm forced to share.
I will admit that there was a time, recently even, that I hated you. You're expectations are just too damned high. You come around, take my husband, and then continue to send me orders while you're gone. Seemingly impossible orders to boot. The flat tires, broken arms, tonsilectomy, broken appliances, wasps nests, giving birth, in-laws, taxes, paperwork, paperwork, paperwork, lonely holidays, deaths in the family, sick parents, sleepless nights, clogged drains, spilled milk, crashed computers, chemotherapy, funerals, lost friendships, depression, new releases at the movies, and now you want me to do a move alone? It's a little much, don't you think? Who do you think I am? Superwoman?
The truth is this, Deployment: I SHOULD hate you, but I don't. Not anymore. I really don't like you, but I don't hate you. In fact, sometimes I am even thankful for you. I've learned a lot because of you. I'm kinda even empowered by you. When you take him away, I have time to sit back and reflect on my life with him, how I need/want him, and then you deliver him back to me so I can tell/show him my findings. Sure, there's no easy way to help the kids, but I continue to try and because of that, I am closer to them. We're a pretty tight unit here, Deployment.
You give us challenges, but in the end we always come out stronger and more determined.
You're delivering my husband back to his three children this weekend and for that I'm thankful. I know I'll be seeing you again in the future, but do me a favor this time - stay away a little longer. I don't care if come for like a week or so, but a year? That's just not cool.
So long, Deployment.
Until next time.
P.S. Writing to you has been strangely therapeutic.
lOVE THIS!Im a single mommy who goes on deploymeny but I love this!
ReplyDelete