I wrote this on a post of a friend.....And it touched them so much, that I decided to share it with everyone..... God Bless our Flag! For she's a beaut!

My Old "Girl" on her way to her final resting place with the American Legion.... You served us well Ole Glory!
Last week, I was taking the garbage out and noticed how tattered and worn my American Flag was looking on her pole our front. I took her down and brought her inside. I gently put her on the counter top and inspected her wounds. I can fix her. Some thread and time and she'll be as good as new! Sadly, as I sewed, her fabric fell apart in my hands. The elements here in the south were just too much for her old fibers to take. I knew it was time.
I folded her up as I remember being taught by the girl scouts 25 years ago. It wasn't perfect, but I did the best that I could. I took her to the American Legion Post downtown for her to be burned with others like herself, who were no longer serviceable. The old retired veteran answered the door and was so nice. He held out his hand and said I'll take care of her. As I went to hand her to him, I felt like crying. I laughed out laud and told him how silly I was for being sad to see her go. She had been thru so much with me. I remember buying her with my husband before his last deployment a few years ago. That she never missed a day, waving out in our front yard while he was gone. And the day he came home, she was welcoming him back to where he belonged. I felt like I was losing an old friend. He smiled and said he knew what i meant.
I drove straight to the store to buy her replacement that day. And immediately put her up so she could be seen by everyone. Im such a sap, I even have pictures of that old flag that hung out front for so long.....
Call me an emotional silly ole army wife, but I sure love my American Flags.....
No comments:
Post a Comment
Be kind!